A 10-year-old boy was electrocuted in Aathur at Sholavaram on Saturday after he came in contact with a low-tension power cable while trying to retrieve a cricket ball on the rooftop of the Government Middle School.
The police said the victim S. Nitishkumar was playing cricket with a group of classmates in the school ground at around 11 a.m. on Saturday. The school was closed for the day.
One of the boys hit the ball and it landed on the roof of a building.
In an attempt to retrieve the ball, Nitishkumar climbed a tree and reached the roof but when he lifted his head, his neck caught in the electricity cable that was passing above the roof. The boy immediately collapsed on the roof and died on the spot.
The other boys fled the playground. A few of Nitishkumar’s friends alerted his parents who rushed to the spot, brought the body down from the rooftop and rushed to the government hospital where he was declared brought dead.
A case under section 174 of IPC has been registered by the Sholavaram police.