No one noticed the boy struggling. They spotted him only after he had swallowed a lot of water, police said
A teenager died at a hospital at noon on Tuesday, after he was rescued from a 12-ft deep swimming pool at Sterling Club in Nungambakkam, where had gone for a dip with his friends on Sunday morning.
Nungambakam police said Rupam Hazarika (15), a class X student of Kendriya Vidyalaya, Adyar had come to the pool with three friends around 9 a.m. on Sunday, after celebrating a friend's birthday at his the birthday celebrations of one of them at his residence in Teynampet.
Rupam's friend's father Naidu, a Southern Railway employee, who had access to the club's facilities, brought the boys. “Rupam claimed that he knew how to swim and got into the end of the pool that was 4-ft deep, along with the boys. Slowly, he moved to the 12-ft end but couldn't stay afloat. No one initially noticed the boy struggling. They spotted him only after he had already swallowed a lot of water,” said an officer.
Lifeguards there brought Rupam out, and a medical practitioner playing badminton in the club was called to check on the boy. The doctor examined him and said he should be taken to a hospital immediately, the officer added.
Naidu rushed the boy in his car to a private hospital on Greams Road, where he was admitted. But Rupam did not respond to treatment and died on Tuesday, police added.
Police have registered a case of unnatural death, and are probing. They are also questioning staff members at the Sterling Club. As of Wednesday evening, no one had been arrested.