A two-year-old boy died a couple of hours after he was administered polio drops in Padappai in Kancheepuram district on Sunday.

Official sources said the boy, Joshuan, was the son of Arul and Dhanalakshmi and a resident of Periyar Nagar, Padappai. On Sunday morning, Dhanalakshmi administered polio drops at the Children's Centre near their home.

Soon after, Joshuan developed high temperature and fits and was taken to a private hospital in Padappai, from where he was referred to the Tambaram Taluk Government Hospital in Chromepet, where the boy was pronounced dead on arrival.

As news about the incident spread, several parents rushed their children to Chromepet GH. According to officials, more than a dozen a children were brought for admission at Chromepet GH and also at Chengalpattu Government Hospital.

Officials at Chromepet GH said there was no cause for alarm or concern. In the meanwhile, angry residents of Padappai resorted to a demonstration on Vandalur – Wallajahbad Road. Heavy vehicles towards Kancheepuram were diverted to Karasangal, Manimangalam and Padappai.

Officials of the Kancheepuram District of the Department of Health and Family Welfare said there was no lapse on the part of the district administration or the State government.

Director of Public Health R.T. Porkaipandian said the Oral Polio Vaccine was proven to be extremely safe and that it did not cause the death, “The boy is said to have eaten idlies and ice cream after getting the drops and had fallen asleep later. The food might have been aspirated and caused the death, but we will have to wait for the post mortem report for confirmation of cause of death,” he told The Hindu. He also urged parents not to panic, and not to deny their children the drops.

(With inputs from Ramya Kannan)

RELATED NEWS

Aspiration suspected in child's deathJanuary 25, 2011