DD Medical had given Madras HC an undertaking that it would not admit students until various issues are settled

In two weeks, students of DD Medical College will finally know what the future holds for them.

A total of 216 students of the 2011-12 and 2012-13 batches have been struggling for months now spending time in Court, looking for a solution. Now, their plea is to be admitted to government medical colleges this academic year, as their college was de-recognised by the Medical Council of India (MCI) in 2012.

“A court hearing has been scheduled for March 26. We are hoping for a positive decision, allowing us to begin our studies,” said Reshmi Irene, a student of the 2012-13 batch, who first moved the court.

However, students pointed out that the college has called for admissions for the 2014-15 academic year on its website. An online admission application form as well as the prospectus is available.

“We are sitting at home doing nothing, having wasted two years of our lives because of this college. And it is advertising for a new batch. How is this fair?” said P.V. Abiramai, another student.

In February, the college gave an undertaking before the Madras High Court that it would not admit students until the various issues involving the institution are settled finally by the High Court and the Supreme Court.

While many attempts to reach the top management of the college failed, enquiries on the number provided on the website confirmed that the college’s staff was encouraging callers to come directly to seek details about admissions for 2014 – 2015.

When a reporter called, pretending to be a student who wanted an MBBS admission (with poor marks), the staff of the college said admissions were open and instructed her to come directly to the college and speak to a certain Mr. Rajendran for details.

On MCI’s website, DD Medical College does not figure either in the recognised list of medical colleges in Tamil Nadu, or in the permitted list. In the list of all medical colleges in the State, the status of its MCI recognition reads ‘Recommended for withdrawal of LOP granted for Establishment’.

Nalini Chidambaram, senior counsel for the students, said the college admitting students this year would be illegal. “The case is still pending before the Supreme Court. The stay granted on MCI’s withdrawal of its permission to the college was limited, only to enable the college to pursue its case in the Supreme Court,” she said.

Some like R. Kirubakaran of the 2011-2012 batch have not thought beyond this month. All they want is to get into a government medical college this year, even if it means losing three years and starting their studies all over.

“We have been through a nightmare over the last year, and have to watch as our children’s education is disrupted. How many other parents will be misled by this advertisement into paying Rs. 20-45 lakh for admission,” a parent asked.