When will the Chennai Corporation take steps to close the old abattoir and shift the facility to the new premises at Perambur here?”
This is one of the questions posed by Jayanthi, a member of the State Human Rights Commission, while seeking a report from the civic body in response to a complaint that the new abattoir, established at a cost of Rs. 48 crore, was yet to be thrown open to the public for reasons best known to officials.
In his complaint to the Commission, citing a news report in The Hindu on July 18, K. Sudhan, an advocate in Injambakkam, said the modern facility was to have been inaugurated last year. Over 1000 wholesalers and 2000 workers used the old abattoir that was constructed in 1930.
The complainant said it was the fundamental right of every citizen to access new and modern facilities provided by the government after phasing out old facilities. Mr. Sudhan stated that since the civic body was yet to announce the date of commissioning of the new abattoir, the rights of citizens were being violated as their money had been utilised for a project that could not be used.
Earlier, Ms. Jayanthi had asked for a report from the Corporation Commissioner stating when the construction of the new abattoir had been completed. She had sought clarification on whether the civic body had applied for clearance from the Tamil Nadu Pollution Control Board, and if so, when the clearance had been given. Ms. Jayanthi had also asked the Corporation to state when it would close the old abattoir and shift to the new facility.
As the report was not received within the mandated three-week period, the member issued a reminder notice on August 17. The notice stated that the report should be sent immediately. Failure would invite action, it said.