SEARCH

Cities » Bangalore

Updated: June 11, 2013 10:52 IST

We will soon return land to farmers: Siddaramaiah

Staff Reporter
Comment   ·   print   ·   T  T  
Chief Minister Siddaramaiah was felicitated by Bangalore North Taluk Land Owners and Revenue Site Owners Welfare Protection Association in Bangalore on Monday.
Special Arrangement Chief Minister Siddaramaiah was felicitated by Bangalore North Taluk Land Owners and Revenue Site Owners Welfare Protection Association in Bangalore on Monday.

Land notified for formation of Shivaram Karanth Layout

Chief Minister Siddaramaiah on Monday hinted that he is in favour of de-notifying certain parcels of land that had been notified for the formation of the Shivaram Karanth Layout.

Speaking at a gathering of farmers and land losers here, Mr. Siddaramaiah said that he has not forgotten that he had opposed acquisition of land for the layout when he was not in power.

“I wouldn’t abandon the cause for which I fought. The government will go by the judicial process. We’re waiting for the land acquisition Act by Union government and we’ll go by it. We will soon give land back to the farmers,” Mr. Siddaramaiah said.

He made this statement after the Bangalore North Taluk Land Owners and Revenue Site Owners Welfare Protection Association submitted a memorandum to him. The memorandum said that the BJP government had forcibly notified land belonging to hundreds of farmers for the extension of the layout.

Earlier, senior Congress leader V.S. Ugrappa said, “On October 11, 2010 and November 9, 2011, Congress leaders supported the torchlight protest against the acquisition of land [for the layout]. Mr. Siddaramaiah and I were also part of that protest.” Speaking on behalf of the land losers, he said, “Today, we request the Chief Minister to de-notify the acquired land and return it to the farmers.”

Like most BDA layouts, the Shivram Karanth Layout too has been dogged by controversies. On March 28, 2012, Congress leader K.N. Chakrapani had exposed the illegal de-notification of 800 acres of land meant for the layout. His party, which was in opposition, raised a furore in the Assembly forcing then Chief Minister D.V. Sadananda Gowda to order a CID probe.

“Nothing seems to have emerged out of the probe. The previous government never even followed up on the promise made by the then Chief Minister. And the CID never registered a case,” Mr. Chakrapani told The Hindu.

Responding to the Chief Minister’s assurances to the land losers, he said that it would be “improper” to further de-notify land when previous cases have not yet been investigated.

More In: Bangalore
This article is closed for comments.
Please Email the Editor
The Hindu presents the all-new Young World

Bangalore Connect Newsfeed

Karnataka

Mangalore


O
P
E
N

close

Recent Article in Bangalore

Youth held for rape of seven-year-old in Bangalore

A man in his late twenties was arrested on Wednesday on charges of raping a 7-year old girl at her house in Kamakshipalya. The accused S... »