Sloshed Ashok did not realise when his bed caught fire

Smoking cigarette in an inebriated state proved fatal for a 42-year-old man in Chandapura, on the outskirts of the city, on Saturday.

The victim identified as Ashok, who sustained severe burn injuries, was rushed to Victoria Hospital, where he succumbed on Sunday.

According to the police, Ashok, husband of a village panchayat member, was chronic alcoholic because of which his family members kept a distance from him.

On Saturday night, Ashok came home drunk as usual and went to sleep in a room.

He allegedly lit a cigarette to smoke and the burning cigarette reportedly slipped from his hand and the bed caught fire. Ashok, who was sloshed and was sleeping, could not notice the fire until he was caught in the fire.

The family members, noticing the smoke from the room, rushed to his help and doused the fire and shifted him to Victoria Hospital.

The Hebbagodi police have registered a case of unnatural death and are investigating.

More In: Bengaluru