A major fire that broke out in the BSNL office near Cubbon Park, in the early hours of Thursday destroyed a huge quantity of files and furniture. Six fire tenders from different locations raced to the BSNL office and put out fire in an hour.
Interestingly, the security staff had noticed thick smoke billowing out of the third floor of the office around 4.30 a.m. but called in the fire service personnel only around 6.20 a.m.
The security personnel went to the floor but could not locate the source of fire, sources in BSNL said.
Further the security staff claimed that they did not have fire control's number and called in the fire service only around 6.20 a.m. By then fire engulfed the third floor damaging furniture and many files.
Fire officials suspect either an electric short circuit or an electric coil stove kept on the premises could have led to the fire mishap.
The impact of the fire on BSNL operations in Bangalore city is yet to be ascertained.