A construction worker was electrocuted when he came in contact with a high-tension electric wire in Kodigehalli on Tuesday. A police constable who went there to investigate was also injured.

The deceased Pavan Kumar (20), was a native of Pandavapura. He was working at a construction site with his mother and elder brothers. The family lived in a makeshift house near the site.Pavan, the police said, had gone to relieve himself and when he did not return, the family was worried. They later found him dead near the wire that was hanging close to the ground. After preliminary inquiry, the Kodigehalli police concluded that Pavan might have touched the live wire that passes along the railway track a few yards away from the construction site.

While the police alerted the Bescom officials to disconnect the power supply, police constable Satish, who was inspecting the site, suffered burns when he came in contact with the wire. Satish was shifted to hospital where he is recuperating. The Kodigehalli police have registered a case of negligence against the Bescom officials and are investigating. “The Bescom officials have laid a high-tension wire to facilitate the track work taken up by the Railway officials. The high-tension wire was almost touching the ground and the Bescom officials have not taken any precautionary measures, which led to Pavan’s death, the police said.

More In: Bengaluru