A van driver was killed in an explosion following a gas leak from his vehicle parked outside his house at Devarachikkanahalli.

Ramachandra (45) sustained about 90 per cent burns in the explosion late on Tuesday and was rushed to hospital, where he died.

On Tuesday evening, after dropping schoolchildren back to their houses, Ramachandra parked his van, which ran on LPG, outside his house. Around 4 p.m., when he was having lunch, he and his wife reportedly could smell the gas. Ramachandra checked both the cylinder in the kitchen and in the van.

Realising the cylinder in his van was leaking, he attempted to repair it and turned on the ignition. This led to an immediate explosion and the van caught fire.

Local residents rushed to put out the fire and help him out of the vehicle. He was taken to Victoria hospital.

The Mico Layout police have registered a case of unnatural death. Officials said the van would be sent for forensic examination to find out how the leak occurred.

RELATED NEWS

Gas leak fire injures 10December 16, 2011

Ammonium gas leak at dairyAugust 10, 2010

More In: Bangalore