Mixed waste will not be accepted from citizens from October 1

Garbage segregation at source is mandatory and non-negotiable, and all citizens have to compulsorily segregate the waste they generate from Monday, said Bruhat Bangalore Mahanagara Palike (BBMP) Commissioner Rajneesh Goel.

Speaking to presspersons here on Friday, he said pourakarmikas had been instructed not to accept mixed waste from citizens from October 1.

To din into the public the message, the BBMP has already taken up various activities and programmes, including announcements on FM channels and ad hoardings. Zonal commissioners had been directed to conduct ward-level meetings with the various residents’ welfare associations.

No relaxation

Mr. Goel categorically stated there would be no relaxation for bulk generators, including marriage halls, apartments with more than 10 units and hotels and Credai (Confederation of Real Estate Developers’ Associations of India) had assured the BBMP of its support.

He had met the former Credai president Sushil Mantri, who assured him of cooperation from the developers’ body.

“We have given them copies of the High Court directive on garbage segregation and the public notices issued for both citizens and bulk generators.”

The BBMP has organised a crash course on segregation for the various apartment welfare associations on Saturday at the IPP Centre at 6.30 p.m.

Only option

With the Mandur landfill not accepting any garbage from Monday, segregation of waste at source is the only option now. Commissioner Goel said that nearly 40 per cent of garbage (around 1,500 tonnes) come from bulk generators. Of the remaining 60 per cent, wet waste constitutes around 60 per cent (around 1,500 tonnes), dry waste around 30 per cent (around 800 tonnes), while inerts were 10 per cent (around 250 tonnes).

From October 1, the BBMP will be sending 1,000 tonnes of segregated wet waste to Chintamani, where a private company has agreed to process it.

The dry waste can be recycled, while the inerts will be dumped in quarry pits. Sites for the scientific disposal of the remaining wet waste would be finalised on Sunday, he added.

K.R. Market bins

Mr. Goel said that on a trial basis, the BBMP will have a three-bin system at K.R. Market from Saturday.

While one bin will be only for rotten vegetables and flowers, the second will be for wet waste. The third will be reserved for dry waste that can be recycled.

To be used

Vendors at the market will be expected to discard the waste in the respective bins. The Deputy Commissioner (Markets) had been directed to train and educate them on the three-bin system. “If this system proves to be successful, we will emulate the model in the other markets in the city,” Commissioner Goel said.

More In: Bengaluru