A furniture making unit on Nagavara Main Road near Dr. Ambedkar Medical College was gutted in fire triggered due to suspected short circuit on Wednesday.

Though the raw material and finished goods worth lakhs gutted, around 10 employees working in the unit escaped to safety.

A thick smoke coming out from the store room of the unit was noticed by an employee in the early hours and alerted others.

The emloyees tried to douse the fire by pouring water, while one of them alerted the fire control room.

Four tenders rushed to the spot and efforts are on to put out fire.

The fire and emergency services personnel evacuated the residents living in the adjacent houses as thick smoke had elgulfed the area creating panic situation.