Serial rapist Jaishankar, who escaped from the Bangalore Central Prison last week, was arrested by the police on Friday, just a few kilometres away from the jail.

Jaishankar, who is involved in at least two dozen cases of rape and murder, was serving a 10-year term in one case when he escaped from the high security prison by scaling a 30-foot wall early on September 1.

Special team

A special police team led by Joint Commissioner of Police (Law and Order) B.K. Singh analysed the behavioural pattern of the fugitive after gathering personal details from his family and also friends both inside and outside the prison.

They were also told to inform the police if they heard from him. This proved effective.

After lying low for a few days, Jaishankar contacted someone close to him seeking help to escape. Jaishankar said he needed a motorcycle and asked the confidant to come to his hideout with the vehicle. Tipped-off by the confidant, the police rushed to the shack (his hideout), which was off Kudlu Gate and arrested Jaishankar.

The shack was hardly a few kilometres from the jail.

Dramatic escape

Police Commissioner Raghavendra Auradkar said that Jaishankar had planned his escape about six months ago and started preparing for it two months ago.

Giving details of Jaishankar’s dramatic escape, Mr. Auradkar said that he climbed the inside wall of the jail using the grill gate of the prison hospital after getting out of his cell with a duplicate key.

He threw the key into the garden (which was found when the police searched the prison after his escape).

Jaishankar, who knew the schedule of the night rounds of the security guards, ventured out at around 2 a.m. and after tip-toeing across the inner wall of the jail, continued onto the connecting wall.

He even braved the sharp glass pieces protruding from the wall and reached the outer wall.

He used a bedsheet and the strap of his bag to slide down and then fled.


He sustained injuries on the sole of his feet. This caused it to swell, preventing him from moving beyond a short distance.

Eventually, he was forced to call a friend for help and that led the police to him.