The accident occurred in Koramangala on April 12
A man who sustained burns when an electricity transformer exploded on 80 ft. Road in Koramangala on April 12, died on Tuesday.
The deceased, Narayana Nayak, was undergoing treatment at St. John’s Hospital where he succumbed to injuries that had led to multiple organ failure. He had suffered 60 per cent burns.
Narayana Nayak and three others identified as Sridhar, Hemanth and Prakash were passing by the electricity transformer on April 12 in Koramangala when it exploded. Sridhar is recuperating in a hospital, Hemanth and Prakash, who had sustained 10 to 20 per cent burns, were treated and discharged the same day. Following the death of Nayak, the Koramangala police registered a case of death due to negligence against the Bescom officials and are investigating.
A resident of Seshadripuram, Nayak was working in the administrative section of a private hospital in Padmanabhanagar for the last six years. He hailed from Chamarajanagar and is married and has a 9-year-old son.
Bescom officials said the transformer that caused the fatality had been repaired and maintained on April 3, before the incident occurred. The blast of the transformer was due to overload. Usually power shedding is done to prevent overload, but during summer seasons, the usage of electricity increases and thus causes overload in electricity transformers.
Expressing grief over the death of Narayana Nayak, Bescom officials said they would bear the medical expenses of the victim that has come up to Rs. 1.25 lakh besides providing a compensation of Rs. 3.02 lakh to the family.