Frankly, I was not prepared for the large meal that I was expected to wolf down at Barbeque Nation, but my dinner companion was. He had not had food for most of the day (or so he told me!). Mihir Ranjan Nath, business manager of Barbeque Nation, says that most of his customers admit that they come with an empty stomach to enjoy their meal.
As we are shown to our table, the steward first explains the unique concept of ‘grilling at the table'. He returns with a grill, complete with red-hot coals and fixes it in its designated slot on the table. Mihir claims that Barbeque Nation brought the ‘grilling at the table' concept to the city first. “This concept has caught on very well,” says Mihir. Almost 90 per cent of our customers eat at our restaurant at least thrice a month.”
While 90 per cent of the food is cooked in the kitchens, customers can oversee the remaining 10 per cent of the cooking at the table. You can grill vegetarian or non-vegetarian skewers and slather it with the special marinades — mustard oil, black pepper and olive oil, and red chilli garlic.
We first sample the grilled pineapple, grilled potato, coastal barbequed fish, Lebanese mushroom and chilly garlic prawns. The waiter carefully places the skewers on the grill and asks us to have these starters with special dips — curd mustard, mango mint, tomato sesame, and mint chutney. The fresh, juicy prawns turn out to be our favourite, closely followed by the coastal barbequed fish. Both were standout dishes because the marinade did not mask the flavour of the prawns or fish.We take up his suggestion of trying the chicken shistawook with the Gilaafi naan, Cajun spiced potatoes, mutton methi sheek kebab and paneer marwdi. Though not big fans of the Gilaafi naan, we are glad to sample the mutton methi sheek that is soft and juicy. It is perfect with a dash of lemon. Cajun spiced potatoes refresh the palette.
Just as I am about done with my dinner, we are asked to try the house speciality — Banu tangdi and chilli prawns. As my stomach groans at being overfed, we balk when we are asked to sample the main course. So much food, enough to feed an army!
There is a pre-fixed menu that includes five vegetarian and five non-vegetarian starters, main course with a choice of breads, five salads and seven desserts. The four-course meal (even if you do not sample the main course and dessert) costs Rs. 788 per head (non-vegetarian) and Rs. 696 (vegetarian). The restaurant serves alcohol.
P.S. Barbeque Nation is only for those with a bottomless stomach! Call (080) 60600000.
Keywords: Barbeque Nation