Three-year-old who complained of toothache never regained consciousness
A three-year-old boy died due to alleged overdose of anaesthesia in a private hospital in HSR Layout here on Wednesday and his incensed parents and other family members went on the rampage, attacking Dr. Raviraj whom they blamed for the child’s death.
The child, Sirish, was taken to Annayamma Dental and Eye Care Clinic after he complained of toothache. Relatives claimed Dr. Raviraj, who treated him, administered an overdose of anaesthesia which turned fatal to the Sirish.
The parents alleged that doctors at the clinic did not inform the family even hours after his death.
Enraged over the death, the family members attacked the doctor, blaming him for the child’s death. Chaos erupted in the clinic following which the HSR Layout police intervened.
Speaking to The Hindu, Satish, a relative, accused the doctors of concealing the Sirish’s death. “He was taken to the clinic around 8.30 a.m. after which he was administered anaesthesia. Doctors grew concerned when he did not regain consciousness even after one hour. The clinic authorities themselves took him to the Garden City Hospital around 10.30 am and admitted him there. Around 12.30, we grew suspicious and started demanding an explanation as to why it was taking so long. One hour later, the hospital informed us that he had died.”
Mr. Satish said the family suspects their child had died long before the hospital announced his death.
“The doctors claimed that he had an irregular heartbeat and were trying to stabilise him all the while. They also claimed that he had a heart attack which could have led to his death. But, we don’t believe it. We are awaiting the post-mortem report due on Thursday.”
The post mortem was conducted at Kempe Gowda Institute of Medical Sciences on Wednesday evening. The family members have filed a complaint with the Madiwala police as well as the Jayanagar police.