Doctors attending on the victims of Valmikinagar food poisoning said most of those admitted in Victoria and Vani Vilas hospitals had been discharged by Saturday evening.
Victoria Hospital medical superintendent G. Gurushankar said none the remaining victims was critical and they would be discharged by Sunday. Gangadhar Belawadi, head of paediatrics, Vani Vilas, suspected contaminated water in the panaka and buttermilk.
Of the 19 children at Vani Vilas, he said that 11 suffered from dehydration and were under observation. “We have already alerted the BBMP (Bruhat Bangalore Mahanagara Palike) to search for other possible cases and also intimate Isolation Hospital,” he said.
Vijay Kumar (26), a painter, said he had one glass each of juice and buttermilk. “In the middle of the night, my stomach started hurting and I developed fever. When my condition worsened in the morning, my family shifted me to a hospital.”
Hemalatha, wife of B.R. Arun Kumar who has been admitted in Victoria Hospital, who was away, said she rushed back to the city on hearing that her husband had taken ill. A diabetic, Arun Kumar had severe dehydration before being rushed to the hospital.
Saleha Fatima (9) drank juice and buttermilk at 4 p.m. on Friday. Her mother, Ruhi Banu, said she and her daughter were visiting her mother’s house in Bande Gudisilu. “At 3 a.m., Saleha had high fever and started vomiting. We rushed her to the hospital in the morning. She is now on IV fluids.”
The panaka and buttermilk, distributed by the Muthu Maramma temple, claimed three lives.