An explosion caused by leaking LPG in a house in Hegganahalli late on Friday resulted in the death of an infant, Nikhil, just a day ahead of his first birthday.

Nikhil's family was busy cooking a feast for his birthday when the explosion occurred.

According to the police, Nikhil's mother, Usha, was cooking when the first cylinder ran out of gas. Her husband, Gangadhar, connected another small cylinder to the stove.

But he did not pay attention to the fact that the regulator did not fit properly on the small cylinder, the police said.

The moment Usha tried to ignite the stove there was a massive explosion in which Nikhil was injured grievously along with Mangala (3), Gangadhar (32), Ningappa (55), Usha (24) and Girish (22).

While the baby died a few hours after being shifted to hospital, the rest of the family is being treated for burns at the Victoria Hospital.

More In: Bengaluru