Hospital says she’ll be walking normally in a year

It had been her home for 51 days but Leesha N.S. (17) couldn’t help flashing a million-watt smile as she waved her goodbyes to the retinue of doctors, nurses and other staff at the M.S. Ramaiah Memorial Hospital.

The Maharani Lakshmi Ammani College for Women student, one of the victims of the April 17 Malleswaram bomb blast, said she was thrilled to go home and watch her favourite TV programmes, something she hadn’t done all these weeks.

“But I feel a little bad to leave. I had made so many friends and visitors who came to enquire about me,” she said, as she struggled to walk with the help of the walker, her leg encased in a steel frame.

What happened to her and her friend Rakshita Sujai has changed her perspective on life. “I underwent three surgeries, which were very painful. The first day I didn’t even think I would survive.”

She had gone for a quick snack and a visit to the temple, taking a break from her CET coaching class when she was caught in the blast.

“I wish I had not gone out. A few seconds changed so much in my life.” Understandably, she did badly in the exam.

Talking about her immediate plans, she said: “I first want to clear my mathematics exam and secure a seat in the engineering college. I know that I could have done better if all this hadn’t happened.”

Her father, N. Doreswamy, said the past few weeks had been emotionally draining for him and his wife, Hemalatha E.


Naresh Shetty, senior professor of orthopaedics at the hospital, said that the government had reimbursed a part of the expenses. “We are positive it will reimburse the rest but we will not take any money from Leesha’s family.”

The hospital said Leesha had an open crushed fracture on her left leg with her bone totally shattered and another large wound on her leg. “We have fixed an Iilizarov external fixator, which will be used to ensure the patient gets a normal limb length. She had also undergone a skin grafting procedure.”

She may have to undergo bone grafting if the healing is delayed or slows after six weeks, but she is expected to walk normally after a year.

More In: Bengaluru