With the strike being called off, the city can breathe easy as all pourakarmikas will be back at work from Saturday

The three-day old protest of the Bruhat Bangalore Mahanagara Palike (BBMP) officials, which has left the city in a mess, has ended, albeit temporarily. The protesters, who had boycotted work for three days as part of their demonstration against the Bangalore Metropolitan Task Force (BMTF), have called off the strike till Monday.

The decision came following an assurance by Mayor D. Venkatesh Murthy and BBMP Commissioner M.K. Shankarlinge Gowda on Friday that their demands would be addressed by Monday. This assurance indicates the possibility of the powers of the task force being diluted.

Addressing the association members, the Mayor said that he, along with Commissioner and office-bearers of the BBMP Officers and Employees’ Association, had met with Chief Minister Jagadish Shettar to update him on the situation. “The government will come out with a decision in favour of the employees. Legal efforts will be made to withdraw the prosecution powers given to the BMTF,” he said. He added that as Saturday and Sunday are government holidays, the issue will be resolved by Monday or Tuesday. Later, speaking to presspersons, Mr. Murthy said a proposal had been sent to the Principal Secretaries of the Urban Development Department and the Legal Department. “The Government Order issued in 1996 contradicts the Karnataka Municipal Corporation (KMC) Act, 1976, in giving powers to the BMTF. This will be resolved,” he said. On the withdrawal or cancellation of criminal cases that the BMTF had slapped against BBMP engineers, he said the government has not taken any decision on it.

Back to normal

With the strike being called off, the city can breathe easy as all pourakarmikas will be back at work from Saturday. However, other processes such as khata transfers and plan approvals will hinge on Monday’s developments.

More In: Bangalore