The Soladevanahalli police booked a case under Section 429 of the IPC for committing mischief by killing and maiming animals and under Section 51 of the Wildlife Protection Act
Eleven monkeys died on Friday after eating poisoned food that had been allegedly kept by the staff of a private healthcare centre at Tharabanahalli in Hesaraghatta on the city’s outskirts.
Sources said the clinic’s staff, fed up with the simian nuisance, reportedly placed poisoned ragi balls strategically. The monkeys gorged on the unexpected feast and began collapsing one by one. Wrenchingly, some fell from treetops and buildings, injuring themselves.
The Soladevanahalli police booked a case under Section 429 of the IPC for committing mischief by killing and maiming animals and under Section 51 of the Wildlife Protection Act.
Describing the act as barbaric, Kishan, a representative of People for Animals (PFA), told The Hindu more than 20 to 25 animals — not just monkeys — had been affected by the poisoned food.
While 10 monkeys died on the spot, four bonnet macaques, including a baby, which were still alive, were rescued by PFA and taken to the animal care hospital in Kengeri, Mr. Kishan said. The baby monkey later died in the hospital. “The three others are recovering and one of them showed active signs of improvement,” said Mr. Kishan.
The monkeys had suffered external injuries and were bleeding when they were rescued. One had an open wound on its head while some of the dead had suffered limb fractures.
One more injured monkey was taken to Compassion Unlimited Plus Action’s (CUPA) animal care centre. “After treatment, we will send it to Bannerghatta veterinary hospital on Saturday,” a CUPA spokesperson said.
Meanwhile, when residents of the area and elected representatives of the local panchayats confronted the clinic, its management downed the shutters and was not available for comments.