Participating in the golden jubilee celebrations of Kotak Salesian School here on Saturday, she said that parents have a primary responsibility in shaping the character of their children

Union Minister of State for Trade and Commerce Daggubati Purandeswari has appealed to the parent community against depending too much on the school management and teachers for disciplining the children apart from academic responsibilities and instilling moral and cultural values that shape their character.

Participating in the golden jubilee celebrations of Kotak Salesian School here on Saturday, she said that parents too have a primary responsibility in shaping the character of their children as the children spend most of their time at home and in the presence of parents. Describing a mother’s lap as the best platform for learning values of life and enjoying the warmth of her love and affection, Ms Purandeswari said that this primary school with mother as her first teacher cannot be substituted with any other school. She regretted that modern day parents with hectic work schedules were unable to spend quality time with their children and in the process were expecting educational institutions to take total responsibility of their children. When something radically goes wrong in a family atmosphere there is a danger of criminal tendencies creeping into children and the end result was criminals of the kind involved in the recent Delhi gangrape are born. Scientists say that 95 per cent of a child’s intellectual capacities are developed by the time a child is five years old and the remaining 5 per cent of their capacities are developed during their subsequent 95 years of age, assuming a person’s life span is 100 years.

Going down her memory lane Purandeswari spoke of her childhood and school life in a missionary school in Chennai and the influence they wielded on her life. She said that the missionaries had greatly contributed to the cause of education and health particularly in the days when these services were scarcely available in the country. After seeing the multi-talented children in Kotak School she said that her memories went back to her own school days and the activities in which she participated.

Earlier Visakha South MLA Dronamraju Sreenivas spoke of his association with the school since his youth when his father served as member of Parliament.

Archbishop Mallavarapu Prakash said that the foundation of school was the teachings of Jesus Christ.