Property valued at Rs.75 lakh was destroyed in a major fire at the Preethi Emporium branch near Rama Talkies in the early hours of Saturday.
“We received a call around 5:45 a.m. and sent two fire tenders. We also sent the ‘Sky Lift’ as there were three floors. The ground floor was gutted. There were various home appliances and other articles in two floors while one floor was empty,” Station Fire Officer M. Sanjeeva Rao said.
Fire tenders from Marripalem and Visakhapatnam Port were requisitioned as the first two fire tenders ran out of water. Assistant District Fire Officer Ch. Krupavaram supervised the fire fighting operation.
The fire was suspected to have erupted due to electric short circuit.