It hands over cheque to the Municipal Commissioner

Resolving a long pending impasse over payment of property tax, Gangavaram Port has agreed to pay 35 per cent of the tax in cash and the remaining 65 per cent for development of areas in the vicinity of the port.

The Gangavaram Port management on Friday handed over a cheque for Rs.86.1 lakh, being 35 per cent of the tax payable since 2009, to Municipal Commissioner B. Ramanjaneyulu.

The government has declared the port industrial area local authority (IALC) and a notified area resulting in its not paying property tax which drew severe criticism from the Opposition. The criticism became sharper with the steep hike in property tax by the corporation and citing its lack of resources for a rollback. Municipal Commissioner B. Ramanjaneyulu took up the issue and the State-level Notified Areas Committee met thrice in the last six months to thrash out the issue. The final decision was arrived at a meeting in Hyderabad on Wednesday.

Mr. Ramanjaneyulu said the corporation provided houses under JNNURM by footing 30 per cent of the cost to those displaced by giving land to the setting up of the port. Besides infrastructure was created and the port was being supplied water, he said.

He said in spite of being declared IALC and coming under the Notified Areas Committee, Gangavaram port had responded positively to the GVMC's request to pay the property tax. As the port expanded, the scope for GVMC improving its revenues would improve.

Gangavaram Port Trust Vice-Chairman Rajaratnam Naidu said following a request by the commissioner the port would foot 50 per cent of the cost for central lighting from Karnavanipalem junction to Gangavaram port main gate and the roads leading to the port. It will also contribute 50 cycles to GVMC cycle club.

Additional Commissioner S. Krishna Murthy, Chief Engineer B. Jayarami Reddy, Deputy Commissioner (Revenue) M. Viswanadham and Notified Area Committee special officer Purushottam participated.

More In: Visakhapatnam