The Archaeological Survey of India, which is protecting the monument, will carry out repairs to the 400-year-old structure in Kurnool
The mausoleum or tomb of Abdul Wahab Khan here is going to get a facelift soon. The Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) which is protecting the monument has embarked upon the project to carry out repairs to the 400-year-old structure. The Union Tourism Department also announced a grant of Rs. 2 crore for the development of the tomb as tourist spot.
The magnificent structure stands on the bank of river Hundri near Osmania College.
The structure believed to have been constructed in 1618 after death of Abdul Wahab Khan, first nawab of Kurnool, comprises two domes, three verandahs, five arches and parapet walls. The workmanship which is intact four centuries after it was unveiled is much admired.
According to history, Abdul Wahab Khan, Governor of Bijapur Sultan laid siege to Kurnool Fort but failed in his first attempt.
Araviti Gopal Raju, last Kurnool king of Vijayanagara empire, was backed by his relations from Anegondi, Ghani, Own and Penugonda and repulsed the attack. However, when the Bijapur army struck second time, the Kurnool king was left alone and ultimately defeated.
In reward of his victory, the Bijapur Sultan declared Wahab Khan as Nawab of Kurnool. However, his dynasty was replaced by Dawood Khan Panni, representative of Aurangazeb, whose successors continued till the end of 1839 when the British defeated Gulam Rasool Khan.