23-year-old techie Esther Anuhya had gone missing from the Mumbai’s LTT station from the early hours of January 5.

The relatives of the 23-year-old techie Esther Anuhya, whose body was found in a highly decomposed state and partially-burnt near Kanjurmarg, a Mumbai suburban, on Thursday, have blamed police inaction in tracing the girl who had gone missing from the Mumbai’s LTT station from the early hours of January 5.

Two valuable days were lost from January 5, as the Mumbai police did not lodge a FIR, as the report from the Government Railway Police (GRP) Vijayawada took two days to reach Mumbai, said the techie’s uncle Arun Kumar.

The girl, who was working with TCS had come for Christmas holiday and had boarded the Visakhapatnam-Mumbai LTT express on January 4 from Vijayawada Railway Station.

She last spoke to her father from Solapur at around 10 p.m. on January 4, and was supposed to call him back after she reached her hostel at Andheri in Mumbai.

The father of the girl, a retired professor of Noble College, Machilipatnam, had lodged a complaint with the Government Railway Police on January 5, as the girl did not call home after reaching Mumbai.

“The GRP at Vijayawada appears to have washed its hands off by confirming that the girl had reached Mumbai, based on her cell phone record and co-passengers’ statement and they sent a copy of the report by registered post and another by speed post. And till the time they (Mumbai police) received a copy they did not book a case, despite our running from pillar to post,” charged Mr. Arun Kumar.

However, the GRP-Vijayawada SP, Ch. Shyam Prasad informed The Hindu that GRP personnel was rushed to Mumbai to handle the investigation on the same day.

Last call

According to the Mr. Arun Kumar the last call from one of the mobiles owned by Anuhya was traced on January 5 to Bhandup, which is located about 3 km from the spot where her decomposed and partially-burnt body was found on Thursday.

But the Mumbai police did not take up any search operation under the garb of procedural delay, as claimed that they did not receive any report from the Vijayawada GRP till such time.

“We are not sure whether prompt action would have saved her life, but at least we would have found her body in a much better condition,” lamented the distraught uncle.

Esther graduated from JNTUK, Kakinada University and did her schooling in a local school

. She was placed in TCS about a year ago.

She is survived by a younger sister.

Meanwhile Esther’s mother S. Jyotsna is still unaware of her daughter’s death.

“She is a heart patient and has serious health issues. We are preparing her for tomorrow when the body arrives,” said Arun Kumar.

More In: Vijayawada