A massive fire broke out on the premises of Sivasankari Spinning and Pressing Mills at Gorantla on the city outskirts on Friday leading to damage to machinery and loss of cotton stocks.
The initial estimate of loss has been put at Rs.10 lakhs by the Department of Fire personnel, who took about three hours to put out the inferno limited to three big sheds.
Two fire tenders were pressed into service to put out the fire, said Fire Officer Sridhar.
There were no casualties. An electrical short circuit is said to be cause of the fire. It all began in the Pala House from there it spread to two adjacent buildings, which contained cotton and cotton lint.