‘80 per cent of population were enrolled for cards’

With the Centre making ‘Aadhaar-Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI)’ compulsory for LPG, cash transfer scheme, scholarship, ration and other purposes there is heavy rush at the Aadhaar cards distribution centres.

Serpentine queues can be seen at the Karvy, Jyothi Computers and Smart Chip – which are issuing Aadhar cards – in Krishna district. Women and aged people were seen waiting at the centres for a long time.

However, officials said that 80 per cent of population were enrolled for UIDAI cards, and efforts were being made to cover the remaining 20 per cent in Krishna district. According to District Civil Supplies Officer (DSO) T. Prabhakar Rao, 35.95 lakh people enrolled for Aadhaar cards, out of 45.28 lakh population in 49 mandals in Krishna district. The agencies have set up 104 centres including 33 in rural and 71 in urban areas. “Karvy has set up centres in Machilipatnam, Gudivada and Vijayawada urban areas. Jyothi Computers was issuing Aadhaar Cards in Nuzvid and Vijayawada Rural villages, while Smart Chip has taken up the job in a few areas. We appealed to the agencies to open more centres”, said Mr. Rao said.

“About 62 per cent of urban areas and 88 per cent of rural areas have been covered as on date for issuing UIDAI Cards. Instructions were given to complete the Aadhaar Card issuing process by March end. We wrote to the government to open 450 centres more in the district to speed up the distribution”, the DSO said.

Meanwhile, the public is expressing its ire over the government making UIDAI Card compulsory for several departments, without completing the distribution process. “This is the second day I am waiting in the queue for the Aadhaar card, but the formalities have not been completed. In some centres, there were no application forms also, and many old people are waiting in queues without drinking water and food. This shows poor coordination between State and Central Governments”, said V.S. Murthy, who was waiting in the queue.

“The idea to link UIDAI Cards for all schemes is not the correct decision. Government should make arrangements for enrolment by visiting door-to-door”, said an applicant M. Mahalakshmi.

More In: Vijayawada