Transformers, eight houses gutted
With an average of 44 degrees Celsius of mercury level reported on Sunday in many parts of Krishna District, two persons from Nandigama mandal on Sunday reportedly died of sunstroke. According to locals, Tati Mahalakshmi (60) and Kummadi Seetaiah (55) of Anasagaram village in Nadigama mandal died of sunstroke by 11.30 a.m.
However, District Medical and Health Officer K. Sarasajakshi said that “Health reports of the two deceased were to be collected in order to confirm whether they died of sunstroke or not”. There was no death toll due to sunstroke on Sunday in any Government hospitals.
According to Meteorological Department in Hyderabad, the mercury level touched 46 degree Celsius in Vijayawada while it was recorded 44.8 in the district headquarters at Machilipatnam, where people continue to be homebound till evening.
Meanwhile, several transformers were gutted in the Gunadala AP Transco stock yard in Vijayawada following grass around the transformers in the Sub-Station getting ignited following severe heat wave .
The Fire Brigade personnel fought for about an hour and put out the flames.
The total monetary loss was being assessed by the Department and Fire Department personnel. The response of the fire fighting personnel was fast as it took place just before noon.
On the other hand, eight houses were gutted in a fire accident in Seri Varthrlapalli village in Pedana mandal on Sunday and no casualty was reported. Pedana Mandal Revenue Officer K. Uma Rani confirmed that at least eight houses including six thatched houses caught fire from the nearest dustbin which was set fire by the locals.
The flames were uncontrollable due to the heat wave. Despite the villagers trying their best to control flames , the heat wave resulted in spreading the flames and reduced the group of eight houses to ashes. “There was no casualty in the fire mishap” said Ms. Uma Rani.