Two-day bank bandh called for by APNGOs puts a break in the admission process

After a delay of over two months and just when the engineering aspirants are about to join their chosen colleges, the Samaikyandhra agitation appears to have put a brake in the process.

The allotment letters and SMSs were sent by the A.P. Council of Higher Education and EAMCET board on Tuesday and students were asked to report at the allotted colleges from Thursday after paying the required fee.

The students could not obtain Demand Drafts/challans as the APNGOs called for a two-day bandh of all banks from Thursday.

In a majority of colleges, there were only a few aspirants compared to the rush seen during the earlier years.

On humanitarian grounds, many colleges, instead of refusing the students outright, asked them to fulfil all other formalities and come back on Saturday or Monday with the bank receipt.

“There are students coming even from Srikakulam. How can we just send them back?” questioned V.R. Siddhartha College of Engineering principal G. Sambasiva Rao.

In many other colleges, both the students and managements are in a state of confusion.

The last date for reporting is September 23, as the second counselling is set to begin on September 24 and, in between, there is a Sunday. The students have just two days left in between.

EBC certificates

The students who qualify for fee reimbursement under the Economic Backward Class (EBC) have to submit the income certificate of their parents, certified by an MRO along with the allotment letter.

Ever since the APNGOs have been on strike, the MRO offices in the Seemandhra region have remain closed, and many are yet to obtain the certificate. This situation has put many colleges and students in the fix.

No clarity

“We have no clarity on this issue, we are awaiting further instructions from the APSCHE,” said principal of MVR College of Engineering and Technology K.V. Sambasiva Rao.

A few colleges, however, have asked the students to pay the fee and take admission and later claim it back from the department concerned once they obtain the income certificate.