Twelve persons died and 15 persons injured in a major blast at a house in Nadikudi village in Guntur district following a domestic gas cylinder leak on Monday forenoon.

Illegally stored gelatine sticks stored in the same house caught fire leading to the collapse of the two- storeyed building besides damaging two neighbouring tiled houses.

While 12 bodies have been recovered so far, more are feared to have been trapped under the debris. The dead included the licence holder for selling gelatine sticks M.Koteswara Rao and his wife and their injured son has been rushed to the hospital for treatment.

Guntur district Superintendent of Police Sankah Bratha Bagchi and District Collector B.Ramanjaneyulu are at the accident site supervising the rescue operations.