Fearing the wrath of investors in the chit-fund they failed to operate profitably in the run up to the Diwali festival, a mother-daughter duo of Edaitheru within Woraiyur station limits died consuming acid at their residence.
While daughter Mahalakshmi (40) died in the late hours of Wednesday at Mahatma Gandhi Memorial Government Hospital, the mother, Gomathi (59), passed away in the wee hours of Thursday.
Another daughter Vijayashanthi (36), who also consumed acid, was said to be battling for life at the hospital. Every year, they used to return the money along with interest, sweets and gift to investors.
This year, however, depletion in cash flow was stated to have jeopardised their business, police said, adding that the pressure exerted by investors at such a juncture to return their money with interest drove them into taking a fatal decision.
Woraiyur police have registered a case.