July 9 is observed as ‘The mission thanksgiving day’ by TELC every year in remembrance of the day when Danish King Fredrick IV sent the two missionaries to India in 1706.

The 306 anniversary of the arrival of German missionaries, Rev. Bartholomaeus Ziegenbalg and Rev. Heinrich Plutschau, instrumental in the establishment of the Tamil Evangelical Lutheran Church (TELC), was marked by unveiling their statues at the Tranquebar House in Tiruchi.

July 9 is observed as ‘The mission thanksgiving day’ by TELC every year in remembrance of the day when Danish King Fredrick IV sent the two missionaries to India in 1706.

The busts of Rev. Ziegenbalg and Rev. Plutschau were dedicated and blessed by Rt. Rev. H.A.Martin, President/ Bishop of Tranquebar, while a tablet stone was unveiled by E.D. Charles, Secretary, Church Council. The statues were opened by Rev. A. Christian Samraj, India Secretary, LMW.

Another important part of the ceremony was the commissioning of five students of theology and the ordination of seven candidates who have completed probationary service. Held at TELC Holy Trinity Peralayam at Tranquebar House, the commissioning and ordination service was marked by RT. Rev. Martin giving away orders and certificates to the selected candidates.

The seven ordained pastors and five commissioned candidates will serve in the pastorates and engage themselves with serving the community irrespective of caste, creed and colour.

Earlier in the evening, the 22 edition of the Church Hymn Book was released by the Bishop and the first copy was received by Rev. Martina Helmer- Pham Xuan, Director, Evangelical Lutheran Mission, Germany. The annual celebration was attended by members of LMW, Germany, ELM, Germany, Global Mission, ELCA, United States of America, UELCI, Chennai and the Bishops- Emeritus.