Chintan Sales, manufacturer of the mobile incinerator bought to the city following the waste management crisis triggered by the closure of Vilappilsala plant, has made the required modifications to the machine “in the most possible way,” as prescribed by the technical committee appointed by the State government.

The functioning of the machine came to a complete halt in March primarily because the government had allegedly given no clear instructions on its insurance coverage to the manufacturer.

Moreover, payment to the company was withheld by the Suchitwa Mission owing to the non-completion of the alternations recommended by the technical committee.

There was never a dull phase in the brief life of the incinerator in the city, often subjected to debates on its financial feasibility, efficiency, and emission levels. The company is now awaiting a government order sorting out bureaucratic hassles and the subsequent commissioning of the machine.

Company representatives told The Hindu that an additional ‘viewing port’ has been installed in the secondary chamber as sought by the committee. The ‘hopper arm’ had been extended and this would ensure that substantial quantities of waste would be fed into the centre of the chamber in one scoop. The height of the chimney had been raised to above 11 metres.

The makers of the machine insist that there is no justification on the government’s part to absolve themselves of its operational errors. The company had not compromised on the delivery of the machine whose features were approved in the initial stages. It appears that it is up to the Department of Urban Affairs to make the next move. The technical committee has to evaluate the incinerator’s functioning based on the recent modifications.

A plan of action has to be formulated whereby the execution of the machine would be detailed. This includes decisions regarding the insurance, the transfer of ownership, and who will assume responsibility of its operation and maintenance.