A 22-year-old worker at a fishmeal processing unit died after inhaling ammonia following a leakage in the unit in Eliyarpadav, which comes under Konaje police station limits, on Wednesday night.

The police said Riyaz was among the many workers who were on duty at the unit of Indo Fisheries Processing on Wednesday night. Many workers rushed out when a pungent smell spread in the unit. Riyaz went toward the two main valves to stop the flow of ammonia. After closing the two valves, Riyaz collapsed. His colleagues Hanif (23) and Sanket (23) quickly went to help him; the three were taken to a hospital. Riyaz died before reaching the hospital. A case has been registered against the owner .

More In: Mangalore