The three toppers in Udupi district have attributed their success in the SSLC exams to hard work and systematic studying.
Mahima H., who got 619 out of 625 marks in the SSLC exams, is a Kannada medium student of Viveka Girls High School at Kota village. She said that she never went to any coaching class. She used to study for two hours at home whenever she felt like. “The teaching in the school was good and I used to follow the lessons regularly,” she said.
Daughter of businessman Bhaskar Kedlaya and teacher N. Lakshmi Devi, Ms. Mahima dedicated her success in SSLC exams to her parents, teachers and especially the headmaster of the school Sripati Herle. She wanted to join the Viveka PU College at Kota to do her PUC. She wants to become a doctor. “I want to serve the sick,” she said.
Sandeep Rao Kordcal, who got 618 marks, is a student of St. Mary’s English Medium High School, Udupi. Son of a physician, Shrisha Kordcal, and homemaker Mamatha S.K., Mr. Sandeep said that he used to study for two hours daily. Self study was his motto and he did not go to any coaching class. He attributed his success to his parents and teachers. “My parents never pressurised me. They only encouraged me. This helped me a lot,” he said.
Mr. Sandeep wants to do MBBS and specialise in neurology. “I want to become a neurologist. The brain holds a lot of secrets. Human beings use only 5 per cent of their brain. I want to unravel the remaining 95 per cent,” he said.
Srinidhi Shetty, a student of Srimad Bhuvanendra High School, Karkala, got 617 marks. She is the daughter of agriculturist Shyam Shetty and homemaker Suguna Shetty, who live in Bajagoli village, about 11 km from Karkala. She too attributed her success to her parents and teachers. Ms. Shetty said that she used to study for five hours a day.
She took coaching for science and mathematics subjects. A trained Bharatanatyam dancer, Ms. Shetty intends to do her PUC at Jnana Sudha PU College in Jarkala.
“I want to become a doctor and serve patients in rural areas,” Ms. Srindhi said.