He came in contact with a live electric wire while installing a flagpole

A 16-year-old student died and two others were injured when they came in contact with a live electric wire while installing a flagpole for the inauguration of a block-level rural sports meet at a government school in Holekoppa village of Sringeri taluk in Chikmagalur district on Tuesday.

Karthik (16), a resident of Nallur, came in contact with the wire while handling an iron pole.

Ranjan (15), a Class 9 student and Anil (33), a resident of Holekoppa, suffered electric shock when they rushed to Karthik’s rescue, the police said.

They were taken to a private hospital in Sringeri, where Karthik was declared brought dead. The other two have been admitted to Kasturba Hospital in Manipal for treatment. Keshavamurthy, the physical education trainer of the school, suffered a heart attack after he witnessed the incident. He was also taken to Manipal for treatment. The sports meet was cancelled. Sringeri police have registered a case.

Compensation

K. Abhaychandra Jain, Fisheries and Youth Services said the State government would provide compensation to the family of Karthik and the others who suffered burns and Keshava Murthy.

He was speaking to presspersons after inquiring about the health of Ranjan, Anil and Keshava Murthy at Kasturba Hospital in Manipal.

Mr. Jain said the government would ensure that electric wires passing through playgrounds were removed so that such an incident did not recur.

He would visit Holekoppa on Wednesday and meet the affected families, Mr. Jain said.

Kimmane Ratnakar, Primary and Secondary Education Minister, said steps would be taken to remove high tension and other electric wires passing through the premises of primary and high schools.

Mr. Ratnakar visited Ranjan, Anil and Keshava Murthy at Kasturba Hospital.

He said headmasters of primary and high schools would be told to meet the officials of Electricity Supply Companies (ESCOMs) of their areas and get high tension and other electric wires shifted out of the premises of schools.

The Minister said he would issue a circular to ESCOMs on Wednesday.

The medical expenses of those who had been admitted to the hospital would be borne by the government, he added.

More In: Mangalore