Amidst protests from residents, the revenue authorities on Saturday demolished six houses at Kasba Bengre that had come up on government land.

According to Mangalore Tahsildar Ravichandra Nayak, the houses were illegally constructed on the government land.

These houses had come up on 15 cents of government land.

The owners of the six houses had been issued notices two weeks ago to vacate the area, he said.

Mr. Nayak said these houses were built in violation of the Coastal Regulatory Zone guidelines.

The CRZ authorities had asked the tahsildar to take action against the owners of the six houses that were built in violation of new CRZ guidelines.

The new guidelines consider all the structures and roads that had been constructed and laid prior to 1991 as permanent structures.

The demolition began around 9 a.m. and continued till 2 p.m. Apart from the tahsildar, the officials from the CRZ, Mangalore City Corporation, and the local councillor supervised the demolition operation undertaken under tight police security. A resident questioned officials as to why they did not carry out the demolition operation when the buildings were at the foundation level. Stopping at an early stage would have saved money the owners had invested in the houses.

The residents also took the local councillor to task for being silent on the matter all these days.

More In: Mangalore