Seven houses damaged in Bantwal, low-lying areas inundated

Low-lying Panemangalore in Bantwal taluk and other areas were inundated on Tuesday as authorities shifted three families to safe areas following heavy rains in the district in the last 48 hours.

The Nethravathi was flowing close to the danger mark in Panemangalore, Kallapu, and Bantwal. The district administration on Tuesday placed boats in strategic locations to rush them in any emergencies while Home Guards were kept on alert.

The Nethravathi was flowing at 8.1 metres as against the danger level of 8.5 metres, said Additional Deputy Commissioner K. Dayanand. The police said low-lying areas in Bastipadpu, Madaka, Jakribettu, and Bandribettu were inundated. There had been partial damage to seven houses in Bantwal. Mr. Dayanand said a boat has been placed in Bantwal as a precaution.

In the morning, the Netharavathi was flowing close to 8.2 metres in Kallapu and Panemangalore as against the danger level of 8.5 metres. It receded subsequently and was reported to be rising again in the evening. The district administration has taken steps to shift members of three houses in Panemangalore that faced the threat of being marooned. Water continued to flow over the bridge in Hosmat near Kadaba cutting off the road connectivity.

Charmadi Ghat

There were landslides at five different places in Charmadi Ghat. Mr. Dayanand said steps were taken to clear the road for traffic movement by 10 a.m. About 25 areas of fields in Nidigal in Belthangady were inundated. Heavy outflow of Kumaradhara led to inundation of bathing ghat in the temple town Kukke Subramanaya.

In Puttur taluk, the water flowed close to the danger mark of 31 feet in Sangama (confluence). Water breached the road level at Udane in Puttur. Low-lying areas in Bajattur, Netrakatte, Gundia and Uppinangady were inundated for several hours on Monday night.

Eight fishermen were rescued on Monday after two boats were caught in the high tide near the barge mouth because of rough sea. A boat that was stranded in the sea on Tuesday following mechanical failure was taken to New Mangalore Port Trust, said Deputy Director of Fisheries Suresh Kumar Ullal.

More In: Mangaluru