Bablu, a native of Madhya Pradesh, sustained 53 p.c. burns in the August 23 explosion at the Mangalore Refinery.

Thirty-one year old Bablu, who was among the eight injured in the explosion at the Mangalore Refinery and Petrochemicals Limited last week, died on Friday evening at a private hospital.

Bablu, a native of Madhya Pradesh, had sustained 53 per cent burns following the explosion at the MRPL phase three project on August 23. “It was inhalation burns (that affects respiratory system). He could not recover from it,” said Sanath Bhandary, the doctor, who treated Bablu. Bablu was among the eight persons injured after a pipe carrying hot water and steam burst in the plant. While two have been discharged, five injured persons are still in the hospital.

The police said Bablu had joined Offshore Infrastructure Ltd., a sub-contractor for BHEL, which was installing the power plant 20 days before the incident. Mr. Bablu leaves behind his wife and four children, who are in Madhya Pradesh. He was living with other labourers in a camp in Jokatte. Relatives of Bablu were in city on Saturday when post-mortem was conducted, the police said.

Inquiry under way

The Department of Factories and Boilers is inquiring into the incident that occurred during a pre-commissioning activity.

Meanwhile, following Bablu’s death the jurisdictional Surthkal police have taken up case under Section 304 (A) of Indian Penal Code (Causing death by negligence).

More In: Mangalore