Minister in charge of Dakshina Kannada C.T. Ravi said here on Sunday that Saturday’s attack on young men and women at a house at Padil was “unfortunate” and that the government would take action against the persons responsible without any bias.

‘Isolated incident’

Terming it an “isolated incident”, he said he was appealing to all not to politicise it. If the incident was politicised, it would mask the “reality”, he said.

He said the police had been given a free hand to investigate the incident and take strict action against the attackers.

The Minister said no one had the right to attack any one, particularly women. He condemned the attack and likened the behaviour of the attackers to that of the Taliban. The Minister said that eight persons had been arrested, and added that two or three others would be arrested soon.

Priority

The immediate priority of the government was to maintain law and order in the district and all measures had been taken for the same.

To a question on the call for a college bandh on Monday, he said students were free to express their views. Action would be taken if anyone took the law into their own hands.

To another question, he said that prima facie the attack did not appear to be planned. But, only a police investigation would reveal the truth.

The Minister said as per preliminary information available with him, the house was owned by J.N. Shetty and Manorama J. Shetty.