Two vehicles and numerous packets of fire crackers were burnt after a fire broke out at a stall in Kadri on Saturday. According to fire department officials, evidence pointed to the stall being set on fire.
Around 2.30 a.m., the fire broke out at a make-shift firecrackers stall. Amoped and a cargo autorickshaw that was parked nearby were gutted. Vasant Kumar, Unit Officer, Karnataka State Fire and Emergency Services, said two fire tenders rushed to the spot and doused the flame. “Very few packages of crackers were stored in the stall. While giving out permits, we tell the owner not to have stock at the stall overnight,” he said. The loss is estimated at Rs. 1 lakh.
With no electrical connections in the shop – thus, ruling out short circuit – and an unconnected generator in the stall, Mr. Kumar believed sabotage could be the reason.
He said low cracker sales and increased competition may have led to this rivalry.