A 22-year-old engineering graduate was electrocuted when he came in contact with a live wire near his house in Pudu village on Wednesday morning.
The Bantwal Rural police said Milan Shetty had left his house to check on the cattle that had been found grazing on the and in his neighbour. While walking towards the cattle, Mr. Shetty stepped on a live wire. Mr. Shetty died on the spot around 6.30 a.m. His mother Vasanti has filed a complaint accusing Mangalore Electricity Supply Company Limited of negligence leading to her son’s death.
Residents of Pudu village then carried out a snap protest. Villagers said Mescom had not bothered to repair the severed electricity line despite complaints.
The Mangalore Rural police on Wednesday seized a carrier vehicle in which 23 cattle were being carried. Of the 23, four cattle were found dead. The police said they were doing a routine check of vehicles near the Gurupura Bridge on Wednesday morning. The carrier vehicle coming from Moodbidri stopped a few metres before the checking point and started to move in the reverse direction.
The police chased the vehicle, which entered a narrow road. The driver of the vehicle and two others abandoned the vehicle and escaped.
The vehicle did not have a registration number, the police said.
Keywords: engineering graduate electrocution