A 27-year-old youth from Bihar was killed when his mobile phone, which he plugged in for charging, exploded in a building near Konaje on the outskirts of the city on Wednesday.

The incident occurred when Mithun Sahni, who migrated from Fatheli village in Bihar to work in a brick kiln in Malar padavu village here, was watching a video on his Chinese-brand mobile phone when an electricity supply fluctuation reportedly triggered an explosion at the base of the mobile where the charger had been plugged in, said the police.

Mr. Sahni, who was reclining while watching the video, had kept the phone on his chest. The explosion caused severe injuries to his chest, and his left hand that was supporting the phone. He was declared brought dead, the police added.

Mithun Sahni and his father had been staying in a small room connected to Venkatesh Hollow Brick Works. Police officials said the electricity arrangements at the room was “ad hoc” and lacked proper earthing.

More In: Mangaluru | News