Ubaid, the 50-year-old brother of Mustaq, who is among the four persons from Mangalore arrested by Bihar police for alleged illegal money transfer, died while returning to the city in a train.

According to Ubaid’s family members, Ubaid went to Bihar a few days ago to meet his younger brother Mustaq, who had been taken away by Bihar’s Lakhisarai police on November 24. Ubaid was concerned over the deteriorating health of Mustaq, who was being treated for cancer. The family members said Ubaid had taken two of his friends along with him. Having failed to meet his brother, Ubaid decided to return to Mangalore in a train. When the train was nearing Kolkata, Ubaid felt pain in the chest. Doctors at the Kolkata railway station examined Ubaid and declared him dead.

Arguments over

The Fourth Additional District and Sessions Judge on Saturday heard arguments of the prosecution and the defence in connection with the murders of three women allegedly carried out by administering cyanide by Mohan Kumar.

On Saturday Mohan Kumar himself argued his case and alleged that he was being fixed in the case. He alleged that the police had created evidence against him. On Thursday, Special Public Prosecutor Cyebba Byari submitted that there was clinching evidence to prove charges against Mohan Kumar. Mr. Byari said there was evidence to prove the purchase of cyanide and Mohan Kumar’s stay in hotel rooms on the day the crime was committed. The Judge posted the case for judgement on December 9.

The trial pertained to murders of Anita from Bantwal, Leela from Vamana Padavu, and Sundanda from Sullia. These were among the 20 women allegedly murdered by Mohan Kumar. All the cases were being tried by the Fourth Additional District and Session Court.

12 hurt in bus accident

As many as 12 persons were injured in three-way accident involving two private buses and a truck at Nittur here on Saturday.

The injured passengers were travelling on Kundapur-Udupi bus, which had parked at Nittur for passengers to alight. Another private bus proceeding to Udupi from Santhekatte rammed into the stationary bus. The Udupi Traffic Police said the driver of the second bus was rash and reckless. Just when the buses collided, a truck following the Santhekatte-bound bus rammed it from behind.

Among the injured, one person had been admitted as an in-patient. The driver of the Santhekatte-bound bus fled the scene.

More In: Mangaluru