The Deputy Chief Minister M.K. Stalin on Saturday declared open the P. Srinivasa Rao Memorial at Thiruthuraipoondi in Tiruvarur district.
Srinivasa Rao was a freedom fighter and who also fought for the cause of farm labourers.
Mr. Stalin paid floral tributes to the portrait of Srinivasa Rao inside the building after its inauguration. The memorial has come up at a cost of Rs. 25 lakh. The Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi gave an assurance in the State Assembly on April 10, 2007 that a memorial will be constructed for Mr. Rao at Thiruthraipoondi in recognition of his services to society. Accordingly, the memorial has been constructed opposite the bus stand at Thiruthuraipoondi on the Tiruvarur-Thiruthuraipoondi road and handed over to the Information and Public Relations Department.
Srinivasa Rao was born in Padagara village in Karnataka State in 1907. He came to Tamil Nadu in 1930 and participated in the salt stayagraha. He was imprisoned in 1932. In 1946, he started the Kisan Sabha (farm labourers association) and led it for many years. He was a Communist party member.
Parithi Ilamvazhuthi, State Information Minister, U. Mathivanan, Dairy Development Minister, A.K.S. Vijayan, MP, MLAs Sivapunniyam, Padmavathi and Ulaganathan, C. Kamaraj, Director, Information and Public Relations, M. Chandrasekaran, District Collector, participated in the meeting.