Recent murders pose a stiff challenge to the police, says S. Sundar

Three murders in a span of five days in June gave tense moments to the city police. But the Anna Nagar police were quick to book the suspects within days after the murder of ganja peddler S. Marimuthu.

However, the other two murders — of a milk stall owner, B. Suresh Kumar (35) on Netaji Road on June 27 and that of a 30-year-old man at Thathaneri on June 30 — are posing a challenge to the city police.

The June 30 murder is a peculiar case — the city police have arrested three persons for the murder, but the identity of the deceased is yet to be established. The youth was found with his skull smashed by a boulder and his private parts severed, the police said. The body was discovered along the railway tracks near Thathaneri at around 7.30 p.m.

Initially, it looked like an open and shut case when a drunk surrendered before the village administrative officer claiming to have murdered the youth. But he could not identify the deceased. The self-confessed suspect named two of his friends who, he said, knew the identity of the deceased.

The police tracked them down, only to find themselves at a dead-end. “ None of the three could identify him,” Deputy Commissioner of Police (Law and Order) Samant Rohan Rajendra said.

The police have pasted posters in the city and splashed the photograph of the deceased in the media. A couple of people came to identify the body, but they too could not help the police, Assistant Commissioner of Police (Tallakulam) S. Dhanapal said.

Mr. Rajendra said efforts were under way to identity the deceased in the “missing persons” data of the southern districts.

The police suspect the youth was killed after he propositioned one of his drinking mates to engage in “unnatural sex”. “That is what prompted the assailant to give him a very cruel end,” Mr. Dhanapal said.

The city police are yet to crack the Netaji Road murder case, despite possessing video footage of the incident. The crime, reported at around 10.40 p.m., was captured on CCTV. “The family members are tight-lipped about the whole incident,” the Deputy Commissioner of Police said.

The police are intrigued by the way the murder unfolded. The gang of five first attacked Suresh Kumar, the victim, with their fists. The police wonder why the deceased ran around a pole instead of fleeing the spot.

“In the normal course, when mercenaries attack somebody, they do not waste time and execute their task in a hurry. But in this case the fatal injuries were inflicted somewhat leisurely. The assailants did not leave in a hurry, but casually walked away, disappearing in a lane nearby ,” Mr. Rajendra said.

More In: Madurai