The accused had said the crackers were remnants of a consignment he had bought last year,
Revenue officials raided and seized banned Chinese crackers here much on Wednesday.
The seizure, though in small quantity, that too in the heartland of Indian cracker industry, adds substance to the allegation that have been made by domestic manufacturers on the back-door entry of Chinese crackers in the Indian market with the connivance of authorities.
The Special Tahsildar (Matches), S. Mariappan and Sivakasi Tahsildar, Mohammed Rafi Khan, raided a shop at Srinivasa Nagar in Viswanatham and seized cracker boxes. The shop, run by one Ganesh Babu, had 45 numbers of 50-shots and six numbers of 200-shots.
The accused had said that these boxes were remnants of a consignment he had bought last year, Mr. Mariappan said.
Stating that the shop had violated the established conditions, he said the license of the shop would be cancelled soon.
The materials were handed over to the Sivakasi Town Police for further action. The Sivakasi Town Inspector of Police, Balamurugan, said that a case under the provisions of Explosives Substances Act would be registered as the products were sold without proper permission.