The district health authorities on Monday closed down Maithri Catering at Vadavukode, Puthencruz, following complaints that many who had eaten at an engagement party for which they had catered on Sunday had fallen sick. The caterers were also fined Rs.10,000.

Around 450 people had eaten at the function.

However, the district health authorities have found only three persons who complained of diarrhoea in the Vadavukode area. But it was learnt that 30 people from Thrissur, who were from the groom’s side, had also fallen sick, according to a message received by health authorities.

District medical officer Haseena Mohammed said that no cases of food poisoning were reported from hospitals in the Puthencruz area.

Notice to hotels

Meanwhile, the Health Wing of the Kochi Corporation served notices on three hotels in Thoppumpady on Monday directing them to improve the hygiene standards.

The civic authority started inspecting hotels and wayside eateries following the recent death of a youth in Thiruvananthapuram due to suspected food poisoning.

The civic authorities plan to continue the inspections till the Onam festival season. The corporation authorities have also announced that wayside eateries that open during the evening hours will be inspected in the wake of Ramzan.

More In: Kochi