A family in Malippuram had a narrow escape on Wednesday morning, when their cooking gas cylinder exploded damaging the kitchen and part of the roof of their house.
It all began with Ancy, wife of Sebastian George, of Kappithanparambu, Malippuram, spotting a spark in the regulator of the LPG cylinder while she was cooking at around 7 a.m.
On being alerted, Mr. George tried to put out the fire using water.
The fire caught on rapidly and all the family, that included two school-going children, could do was to leave the house.
In five minutes, the cylinder exploded.
Officials of the Fire and Rescue Services and a forensic team examined the site and collected evidence. Doubts have been raised about the cylinder not having the mandatory thickness.
Remains of the cylinder have been taken for analysis.